Many homeowners may require electrical repairs to their home as a result of weather damage or home renovations.

We will start by reviewing your home electrical supply.

A Guide to Understanding Your Electrical Supply and Ownership Demarcation Points

We don’t often think about how electricity is delivered to our home. To be prepared in case of storm damage, there are a few things that are important to know about your electrical supply, including your responsibility as the property owner. Milton Hydro owns and maintains the electrical equipment up to a point known as the ownership demarcation point. Beyond that, the equipment is the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain and repair. Milton Hydro also owns and maintains the electrical meter connected to the property owner’s meter base.

The ownership demarcation point is where Milton Hydro-owned and maintained equipment ends and the property owner’s equipment begins. Milton Hydro is responsible for maintaining and repairing equipment up to this ownership demarcation point.

It is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain and repair equipment beyond the ownership demarcation point. Milton Hydro cannot perform work beyond the ownership demarcation point because the equipment is owned by the property owner, and subject to Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) approval. Learn more about the ESA on their website,

Milton Hydro owns and maintains the meters and transformers but the ownership of lines, poles and connections can vary depending on the type of service you have. Our Conditions of Service document, found at this link or by contacting our office for a copy, provides detailed information about your electrical supply. For more information or clarification, contact us at   or call (905) 876-4611.

The following is a step-by-step process with critical elements to ensure electrical work is done legally and safely for electrical home repair and maintenance projects.

  1.  Temporary Disconnection /Reconnection

If you are performing electricity upgrades or work around your property, such as tree trimming, Milton Hydro will disconnect/reconnect your electricity once per year for free during normal business hours.
We require a minimum of two (2) weeks notice to schedule your temporary disconnect/ reconnect.
Please contact our Customer Service Team at  or call (905) 876-4611 ext 224
For more information on temporary service disconnections, please see sections "1.7.2 Safety" and "2.2 Disconnection" in our Conditions of Service,
  1.  Hire a Licensed Contractor

If you are hiring someone to do electrical work in your home, they must be a Licensed Electrical Contractor. General handymen and other service providers cannot do electrical work in Ontario unless they hold a License.
To search for a Licensed Electrical Contractor, go to the Electrical Safety Authority website and click on 'Find a Licensed Electrical Contractor in My Area."  Also, a Licensed Electrical Contractor is required to display their ESA/ECRA license number - ask to see it.

  1. Permits

An electrical permit needs to be obtained a minimum of 48 hours prior to the start of the electrical work. If you are doing the electrical work yourself, you need to take out the permit. If you hire a Licensed Electrical Contractor, they must take out the permit. Do NOT take out a permit on behalf of a contractor or anyone else.
To confirm permit requirements and to get your permit, call 1 (877) ESA-SAFE  (372-7233).
  1. Inspections

ESA's Inspectors will review the electrical work. If the work is done safely and in compliance with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code, ESA will issue a certificate of inspection. If your contractor took out the permit, get a copy of the certificate from them. Keep a copy for your records and your insurance company.

  1.  Reconnection of Power

Once the inspection is complete, ESA will advise Milton Hydro that it is safe to reconnect power and issue a Connection Authorization. We will then arrange for the power to be reconnected.



Image widget